How to use Cydia
The first step that you should take after jailbreaking your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch is to launch the Cydia app. The app should have downloaded onto your device automatically as part of the jailbreaking process. Cydia is the equivalent of the Apple App Store for jailbroken iGadgets. With Cydia, you can personalize your device by downloading apps, add-ons, themes, tweaks, and more.
Launching Cydia for the first time
Cydia is very simple to use and navigate, and if you are familiar with using the Apple App Store, you should run into no problems using Cydia.
When you launch Cydia for the first time, you will be prompted to select the type of filter you wish to use, either User (graphical only), Hacker (+command line), or Developer (no filter). If you are an everyday user, you can select the User filter, which will filter out applications that do not personally interest you.
After selecting the filter, Cydia may prompt you to upgrade some packages. If this happens, go ahead and agree. The purpose of this step is to ensure that you have the most recent version of Cydia.
How to install new applications
To demonstrate the installation process for a new Cydia app, let's install Mac-Man, the Cydia version of the popular arcade game, Pac-Man.
To install a new application, follow these steps:
1. Press the button near the bottom of the screen labeled Install
2. Select the category labeled Games
3. Click on Mac-Man
4. In the top right, press Install
5. Press Confirm, and the app will begin downloading
The screen will first read Downloading, then Preparing, and finally Complete. Press "Close Window" to complete the installation process.
Press your home key, and wait for your homescreen to refresh. After it refreshes, you should see the app icon waiting for you to press it and use your shiny new app.
How to upgrade or uninstall a Cydia application
All packages that you have installed are located under "Manage." Complete the following steps to upgrade or uninstall an application:
1. Press Manage.
2. Press Packages.
3. Select the name of the app package you wish upgrade or uninstall.
4. Press Modify at the top right of the screen. If you want to uninstall the app, press Remove and then Confirm at this time. If you want to upgrade it, and an upgrade is available, Cydia will also provide you with an Upgrade option. Press Upgrade in this case to upgrade the app.
If you are having issues with an application, such as that it will not load, follow the above steps to remove it, and then try reinstalling it.
How to add a repository source in Cydia
Different repositories host Cydia apps. At times, you may want to add a new repository, such as a URL that has nice themes that you wish to install to your iPhone. In order to install the themes, you must first add the repository to Cydia. To do so, you must know the URL to the repository and then follow the simple steps below:
1. Press Manage.
2. Press Source.
3. Press Edit.
4. Press Add.
5. Input the URL to the repository.
6. Press Add Source to complete the process.
Cydia will now visit the URL and locate any applications in the newly added repository.
By default, Cydia comes equipped with a list of repositories that you can view on Cydia's home screen. If you wish to install any of them, tap on them and then complete the simple installation process described above.
How to search for Cydia applications
Cydia offers an excellent search feature that makes it easy to locate an app without digging through numerous categories if you are unsure of the category in which it is located. To search for an app, do the following:
1. Tap Search
2. Begin typing the app name or part of its description in the search box at the top of the screen. As you type, apps that match your description appear.
3. Select the app you wish to install when it appears, and begin the installation process described above.
Not helpful? Ask our experts. It's fast and free.