How to use the App Store on your iPhone
The Apple App Store is the online version of the Apple Store where users can go to purchase or download software for their iOS-operated Apple devices. The App Store is similar in design and functionality to the iTunes Store and works with iTunes for ease of delivering content and purchases to Apple devices. To keep things simple, you use the same Apple ID and password you use when making iTunes purchases in the Apple App Store.
Many of the apps available for purchase in the App Store are created by third-party developers and then sent to Apple for final approval, although there are some apps created by Apple as well. Although many of the apps in the store are not created directly by Apple developers, there should be no problems with them since Apple utilizes an extensive review process to ensure that all apps that make it into the store meet the company's guidelines and quality standards. Upon Apple's approval, an app becomes available in the App Store so that users can access and purchase it for their devices. To visit the App Store, you must have one of the following: iTunes installed on your computer or an iOS-operated device that came with the App Store app preinstalled.
To access and use the App Store from your iPhone, follow the simple steps below.
1. Push the lock button located at the top of the phone to either turn it on or pull up the locked screen. If you get the locked screen, use your finger to slide the arrow button at the bottom where it reads "slide to unlock" to unlock your iPhone.
2. If necessary, input your password at this time to reach the device's home screen. If you have not set a password, you should have already been taken to the home screen after step 1.
3. Check that your iPhone is connected to the Internet by tapping the Settings icon and opening the tab called Wi-Fi. Note that it is not necessary to have Wi-Fi connected if you are within range of a cell tower.
4. Once you have established that your iPhone is connected to the Internet, tap the icon labeled App Store.
5. Locate the app you are seeking to purchase for your iPhone. You can do this in a number of ways. You can search the name or description of the app in the search bar, look for it in the available list of the top 25 free or paid apps, or check the featured tab to see if it's there.
6. Tab the green button that either lists the app's price or reads FREE. The writing on the button will change to INSTALL. Tap it again to begin the app installation process.
7. Input the Apple ID and password you use for iTunes. You will have to create one if you do not already have an account.
8. You will now be taken to your iPhone's home screen, where the app will begin to install. Be patient as it downloads to your device; it may take a while if you have a first-generation iPhone and/or if it is a particularly large app file.
9. Once the installation process is complete, there will be an icon for your app on your home screen. Tap it to open and use the app.
10. That's it! That is all you need to know to access and use the App Store on your iPhone. Remember that you can always delete the app if you find that it does not suit your needs.
Not helpful? Ask our experts. It's fast and free.