How to unlock the iPod Touch
The screen-locking feature present in iPod Touch devices allows users to protect their data if someone temporarily takes hold of their devices. While this feature is just great from a security standpoint, people tend to forget their passwords and pass-phrases that they use to protect themselves from a peeping Tom. So, how can one unlock his or her iPod Touch if he or she has forgotten the passcode?
Some facts on the Screen Lock feature
The Screen Lock feature responsible for locking the device's screen is used on several Apple devices, the iPod Touch being one of them. According to data provided by the Apple Support site, in order to use Screen Lock, a user needs to choose a 4-digit passcode that he can use to lock the screen of the device.
The same source particularly highlights the fact that the Screen Lock feature protects only the interface from unwelcomed guests and only when the iPod Touch is not connected to a computer. If a locked iPod Touch is connected to a computer, the information on it can be accessed via iTunes or as an external drive.
Anyway, the screen of your iPod Touch is locked, and you have forgotten the passcode. You can unlock the device using the built-in recovery mode. Please note that the unlocking method will erase all of your data (including your photos, music, and whatever else) from the iPod, so you better back up the device before using this unlocking procedure.
To unlock an iPod Touch You will need:
● A computer with iTunes installed
● A USB cord to connect the iPod to the computer
● The iPod Touch itself
To unlock a screen-locked iPod, you must go step-by step through a simple set of steps:
1. Activate the screen with the passcode fields on your iPod.
2. While the passcode fields are on the iPods screen, plug the iPod's cord into a computer.
3. iTunes will launch when the iPod is plugged in. iTunes will complain that it cannot connect to the iPod because it requires a password. Click "cancel" and close iTunes. If you are using a Mac, close iTunes completely from the system tray.
4. When the iPod is plugged in and iTunes is closed, press the “Power/Sleep” button and the “Home” button, and keep them pressed for about 20-25 seconds. You will know that it is time to release the buttons when the USB connection sign and the iTunes logo appear on the iPod's screen.
5. Fire up iTunes. It will notify you that an iPod in recovery mode is detected. Just click OK.
6. iTunes will offer to recover the iPod. Just hit the recovery button. During the recovery, any interruptions are highly undesirable. So, leave your iPod one-on-one with recovery mode.
7. After the recovery is performed, you will see an iTunes screen that allows you to download your data to the device.
Enjoy your device and do not forget that security passcode again!
Not helpful? Ask our experts. It's fast and free.